SEATTLE, WA – September 1, 2011 – Skytap, the leading provider of self-service cloud automation solutions, today announced it was selected by TechTarget’s SearchServerVirtualization as a “Best of VMworld 2011” award winner in the public and hybrid cloud computing technologies category.
The “Best of VMworld” awards program recognizes outstanding cloud computing and virtualization products and solutions released in the last 12 months. A team of expert judges, consisting of editors, independent analysts, users and consultants, evaluated nominations based on innovation, performance, ease of integration into environment, ease of use and manageability, functionality, value, and how the nominated technology fills a market gap.
“This year’s Best of VMWorld attracted submissions from 250 innovative companies,” said Jo Maitland, executive editor at SearchServerVirtualization. “In the public/hybrid cloud category, Skytap demonstrated capabilities that far and away made it the best solution. It clearly established them as the category winner. Congratulations to the Skytap team!”
“We are honored to win the Best of VMWorld award for the hybrid cloud solution category. This award recognizes our unrelenting focus to bring solutions that deliver immediate value to our customers,” said Scott Roza, CEO of Skytap. “Skytap’s unique solution enables enterprise IT organizations to bring the full power of cloud computing to users with self-service simplicity while retaining full visibility and control at the same time”.
Skytap enables enterprises to accelerate their transition to the cloud by reducing the complexity and time needed to set up and configure a hybrid cloud. Prior to Skytap, enterprise customers had to use a variety of hardware and software tools to create a hybrid cloud. This process required significant time and IT resources. Skytap’s hybrid cloud solution enables IT managers to setup a secure, bi-directional IPSec tunnel using a web UI. Functional users are then empowered to create hybrid cloud deployments with point and click ease. Key features of the Skytap solution include:
- Self-Service Web Interface: enables functional users to create multi-machine virtual data centers using hybrid cloud architecture in seconds.
- Skytap Remote Access Console: delivers secure desktop-level access to virtual machines running in the hybrid cloud using modern browsers.
- Skytap Instant Snapshots: allows users to snapshot an entire VDC environment in under a minute and maintain persistent hybrid cloud connections.
- Skytap Groups, Roles and Granular Permissions: enables IT managers to create granular access control lists and set up policy management rules. Access control lists created to maintain security would be enforced across hybrid cloud connections.
- Skytap Projects and Workflow: provides collaboration capabilities for distributed teams to work and share virtual data center environments as easily as sharing URLs.
Skytap Advanced Networks: provides advanced routing between configurations and capability to set up security policies to manage communications between cloud instances and specific corporate subnets.
Integration and Extensibility: enables IT managers to control hybrid cloud resources through a rich Web services (REST) API.
Over 150 global companies use Skytap for a variety of dynamic workloads. By collaborating with successful IT architects working in those companies, Skytap has compiled a best practices guide for cloud deployments that deliver tangible results. To learn more, read the 7 Habits of Highly Effective Cloud Architects whitepaper.
Additionally, join Skytap on Wednesday, Sept. 14 at 10 a.m. PT for a webinar on Cloud-Based Automated Development and Testing Framework featuring Jason Arbon, engineering manager at Google. Arbon, who currently manages the Google Chrome and HTML5 testing tools team, will discuss his innovative cloud-based “testing bots” that use Skytap. He will also share best practices and answer questions from participants. For more information, or to register for the webinar, visit www.skytap.com.