Lift and Shift AIX to the Cloud
Skytap’s AIX On-Demand Instances is the first and only cloud solution that enables IT to rapidly migrate, develop, and deploy AIX workloads running on Power Systems side-by-side with Linux and Windows workloads running on x86 architecture.
Built on Skytap’s proprietary cloning technology, AIX On-Demand Instances enables end-users to templatize, clone, and provision their own blended environments in seconds, while IT maintains access controls and governs usage.
Provide Immediate Self-Service Access to AIX Instances
In just seconds, end-users can provision their own AIX environment from IT-managed templates. IT controls user access permissions and govern usage.
Develop and Deploy Blended Workloads Faster
Development and test teams can accelerate end-to-end testing times by eliminating environment contention and constraints.
Accelerate Innovation of Dependent Applications
Enterprises can remove development bottlenecks and increase efficiencies for delivering applications dependent on traditional workloads.
How it Works
One: Export your AIX
Easily export AIX LPARs from your current environment.
Two: Import into Skytap
AIX environments are created using the same import processes as x86 VMs.
Three: Create environment
Combine as many x 86 VMs, Power LPARs, and networks as needed.
Four: Save as a template
Save your environment as a template for provisioning in seconds.
Five: Clone and share
Copy your environment, then use a secure URL to share with other stakeholders.
Stay Notified of Product Updates
Interested in AIX On-Demand Instances?
To receive updates and product news, please fill out the form. We’ll confirm your interest with a brief email.
If you’d like early access to AIX On-Demand Instances, Skytap’s beta program opens in the second quarter of 2017. You can request access here.
Frequently Asked Questions
● ERP: Traditional SAP with the exception of Hana, which only runs on PowerLinux.
● Database: Oracle, DB2, SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise (Sybase), etc
● Messaging: MQ
● Web: WebSphere
● Big Data and Analytics: Hadoop (PowerLinux only)
● Customizable CloudInit
● LPAR Affinity
● Processor Compatibility: Skytap AIX On-Demand instances will not run in native mode
(POWER8) and will not support setting processor compatibility to lower releases
(POWER6, POWER6+, or POWER7).
● Hyper-threading Configuration
● NUMA Configuration
● Guaranteed IOPS
● Active Memory Expansion
● Active Memory Sharing
● Active Memory Deduplication
● Dynamic Addition of Resources: CPUs, Memory, etc.
● Suspend of VMs and Environments: This is dependent on the PowerVM system.
● Container Host and Containers: Docker is not supported on AIX.
● VM Agent: Docker is not supported on AIX.
● Smart RDP: Access will be supported by SmartClient, SSH, or Telnet.
● Networking Promiscuous Mode
● Copy to Region: As Skytap adds support for AIX On-Demand Instances, Copy to Region will be enabled for customers.
Webinar: The AIX Cloud Journey
Sixty percent of enterprise AIX users plan to maintain or increase their AIX footprint in 2017.
Skytap’s AIX On-Demand Instances will help these enterprises apply modern development practices and technologies to their AIX applications.
Join Skytap and IBM in this webinar to discuss:
1. The importance of AIX in today’s enterprise
2. How AIX dependencies affect cloud strategy
3. Introducing AIX On-Demand Instances